Welcome to sushi series part 4! It’s been a while since we last uploaded part 3. Part 4 is about enjoying the leftover ingredients from the sushi we prepared. If you haven’t read our previous sushi lecture, we’ve listed them here.
Marinate sliced salmon
Ingredients for the marinade
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons of mirin
- 3 tablespoons of sake
- Add all the ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for a minute, turn off the heat and then leave it to cool.
- Pour the sauce over the leftover salmon, tuna, or sashimi fish you prefer and marinate in the fridge for at least half an hour.
My favourite! Chirashi sushi!
The fish is marinated, and now it’s ready for chirashi sushi!
But first, what is Chirashi sushi?
What is “Chirashi sushi” (ちらし寿司)?
The actual pronunciation is “Chirashizushi”.
Chirashi (ちらし) means “to sprinkle”.
There are different styles of Chirashi sushi, but in all of them, you essentially sprinkle the ingredients on the sushi rice or mix them in it.
The Chirashi sushi I will introduce in this article is where you put ingredients on the top.
I often prepare too many ingredients to make sure everyone can have enough. So sushi meals continue for two or three days, depending on the number of leftover ingredients.
Let me show you how I made Chirashi sushi for lunch the next day.
Let’s make it together!
It’s straightforward after you've done all the preparations. You can enjoy it with your family and friends, and creating your original design would be fun too!
You can add whatever you prefer, so it’s easy to make it vegetarian or vegan friendly.
- Place the sushi rice in a bowl or some individual bowls.
- Sprinkle some shredded egg omelette.
- Sprinkle some chopped cucumber, avocado and seafood sticks.
- Place some marinated salmon sashimi.
- Decorate with some sliced cucumber, salmon roe and chopped chives.
It’s ready to serve! Don’t forget to add some soy sauce, sushi ginger and wasabi on the side.
We had it on a lovely sunny day and enjoyed it at the garden table.
Making Chirashi sushi is our favourite way to use all the leftover ingredients after a sushi party. There are more ways to enjoy them, but we’ll introduce these in another post.